Skip to main content

PLA - Day 1

Today was my first day at the Public Library Association conference, and I'm not sure how I'm going to do 2.5 more days and keep my head from exploding. There's just so much that's so relevant to my job, I can find something interesting everywhere I look.

This morning I went to the Get Your Game On: Gaming in Libraries Preconference, and it was wonderful. I realized that I need to stop playing the role of wife of a gamer and own that I know a thing or two about video games, too, and what I don't know I can learn. Eli and Aaron spent the first half of the program talking about the benefits of gaming and why libraries should be doing gaming, which is something I'd always bought, but never been very good at articulating. Essentially it boils down to all the different types of literacies learned through video games and what are libraries for if not promoting literacy.

It was also interesting they argued that the way libraries get the most value out of gaming is by hosting structured events because you expose kids to so many more elements that help kids become well-adjusted adults (there was a name for these elements, but I'm too tired to look it up right now).

And then they went on to say that even better was to offer at least some tournament play, which I've been really afraid to do, mostly because I'm worried it will be more work than I can foresee. But Eli talked about the tournaments his library runs and they're ridiculously huge and really don't require that much from the staff. Considering the small number of teens who come to our gaming programs currently, I'm sure any tournament I tried to host would be totally manageable for me to run by myself.

Since quite a few of my coworkers are here at PLA, we all met up for lunch and it was great to hear what preconferences everyone else had been to and what things people were planning to look for at the exhibits later in the afternoon. With the upcoming building project, obviously there are plenty of items related to that of interest, but our specific need is automated checkout and return systems because we want to get that up and running at our branch right now instead of waiting the 2.5 years until we're in our new building. So I went around with the coworker who had been designated to take notes on all the ILS vendors and really learned a lot. Although, by now, the automated technologies have come far enough that most of the vendors offer very similar features, so after the first few I was ready to look at other exhibits. So when I go back to the exhibits I'll probably try going on my own and looking at other things.

Tomorrow the regular conference sessions start and I'll be spending a lot of them learning about teen programming. Eventually I'll get around to the adult services part of my job and go to some sessions on reader's advisory and customer service, as well. Then of course there's the fact that I'm in Portland (and the Northwest) for the first time ever and I'd like to do at least a little sight seeing, or at least interesting eating.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2017 Reading Resolutions

Last year, I just barely squeaked out my 100 books, so I'm going to do attempt doing the same this year.

Total Books:
Progress: 48 of 100

As in previous years, I'd also like to focus on reading books I own that have been languishing on my shelves. I'll be a little more realistic in my goal though and try to make this year the first I actually reach this particular milestone.

Books I Own
Progress: 8 of 25
The Elephants in My Backyard: A Memoir by Rajiv SurendraNever Broken: Songs Are Only Half the Story by JewelSuddenly One Summer by Julie JamesOn the Construction Site by Carron BrownOn the Space Station by Carron BrownSecrets of the Seashore by Carron BrownScarlett Epstein Hates it Here by Anna BreslawBreaking Character by Cameron Grey
I still want to focus on finishing series (or dropping them as soon as I lose interest), so I'd like to complete (or at least stay current) with my usual 10 series this year. Every year I think this will be harder and harder to accomplish a…

2016 Reading in Review

I just barely got through my 100 book goal this year (and I'll admit, there were a lot of children's books padding that total), but I have to say I really enjoyed what I read. So now, without further ado, my favorites from what I read this year:


The Holy Bible - This was, without a doubt, my biggest reading accomplishment of the year. A feat I've attempted several times, but 2016 was the year I was successful. Reading this epic work as a whole helped me make sense of the less exciting parts and get a much better big picture view of the work as whole.Hamilton: The Revolution by Lin-Manuel Miranda & Jeremy McCarter - Was there anything I was more obsessed with this year than Hamilton? That's why this annotated script interspersed with short pieces about the show that's revolutionized Broadway has to be on this list. In 2017, I have tickets to finally see the production in Chicago.White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America by Nancy Isenberg - This…

NASIG 2015 - Day 3

The conference overload was starting to happen on Friday, but I soldiered on. At breakfast I talked to someone from a regional library council. Her background is in special libraries, but in her current position she works with a ton of teeny tiny public libraries, so I was excited to find someone with some common ground.As for the opening speaker, I was pleasantly surprised. The head honcho at Alexander Street Press talked about the future of open access publishing and the reception was mixed. First, he was surprised that librarians didn't think all scholarly publishing was going to be open access in the next decade. Then when he described how publishers were going to stay in business, basically by providing services that either make it easier for researchers to publish or to find what they're looking for in bare bones open access text, the crowd seemed ready to revolt and scream that that wasn't really open access. Maybe because I'm not in academia I'm not so up i…