Skip to main content

Friday Reads Uncut

Ever since my friends got together for our very long delayed Christmas celebration I've been powering through Karen Marie Moning's Fever series. Basically our hot young heroine goes to Dublin to discover who killed her sister, only she finds out that fairies are real and on the verge of destroying our world. Definitely better than your average paranormal romance/urban fantasy. I generally don't read the genre because it's either too sleazy or too twilight-y. In this one the heroine is believable despite the fact that she's a 22-year-old blonde who's lived a charmed life right up until her sister's murder. She ends being surprisingly gritty and resilient and while there does end up being a lot of sex, it's not what you think. Definitely on the dark side, but worth the read. Right now I'm on #4 of a the 5 book series. Hopefully I'll finish it all this weekend because it's been impossible to focus on much other than reading these books.

I had to force myself to take a break from the Fever books so I could focus on something else for awhile, so I started reading Gigi Amateau's A Certain Strain of Peculiar during my down time and I'm enjoying it so far. I've been applying for so many teen librarian positions lately, but now that I don't sit next to another teen librarian at work, I've gotten out of my teen fiction groove. In this story 13-year-old Mary Harold is being bullied and figures the only way to stop it is to run away to Alabama to live with her Grandma Ayma. So far I'm really loving Mary Harold's voice. Amateau really knows how to make her sound like a teenager who doesn't quite fit in.

And in hold overs from previous Friday Reads Uncut, I am still working on my two Billie Holiday biographies (Billie Holiday: Wishing on the Moon by Donald Clarke and Lady Day's Diary by Ken Vale) and G. Kim Dority's Rethinking Information Work. Hopefully this next week will see me cleaning up this list and getting a few of these finished. Although a friend just lent me the next 3 Walking Dead books I need to read (10-12) and another friend lent me her Kindle so I could finish up the Moning series and read The Hunger Games (finally!) so we'll see.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2017 Reading Resolutions

Last year, I just barely squeaked out my 100 books, so I'm going to do attempt doing the same this year.

Total Books:
Progress: 48 of 100

As in previous years, I'd also like to focus on reading books I own that have been languishing on my shelves. I'll be a little more realistic in my goal though and try to make this year the first I actually reach this particular milestone.

Books I Own
Progress: 8 of 25
The Elephants in My Backyard: A Memoir by Rajiv SurendraNever Broken: Songs Are Only Half the Story by JewelSuddenly One Summer by Julie JamesOn the Construction Site by Carron BrownOn the Space Station by Carron BrownSecrets of the Seashore by Carron BrownScarlett Epstein Hates it Here by Anna BreslawBreaking Character by Cameron Grey
I still want to focus on finishing series (or dropping them as soon as I lose interest), so I'd like to complete (or at least stay current) with my usual 10 series this year. Every year I think this will be harder and harder to accomplish a…

NASIG 2015 - Day 3

The conference overload was starting to happen on Friday, but I soldiered on. At breakfast I talked to someone from a regional library council. Her background is in special libraries, but in her current position she works with a ton of teeny tiny public libraries, so I was excited to find someone with some common ground.As for the opening speaker, I was pleasantly surprised. The head honcho at Alexander Street Press talked about the future of open access publishing and the reception was mixed. First, he was surprised that librarians didn't think all scholarly publishing was going to be open access in the next decade. Then when he described how publishers were going to stay in business, basically by providing services that either make it easier for researchers to publish or to find what they're looking for in bare bones open access text, the crowd seemed ready to revolt and scream that that wasn't really open access. Maybe because I'm not in academia I'm not so up i…

2016 Reading in Review

I just barely got through my 100 book goal this year (and I'll admit, there were a lot of children's books padding that total), but I have to say I really enjoyed what I read. So now, without further ado, my favorites from what I read this year:


The Holy Bible - This was, without a doubt, my biggest reading accomplishment of the year. A feat I've attempted several times, but 2016 was the year I was successful. Reading this epic work as a whole helped me make sense of the less exciting parts and get a much better big picture view of the work as whole.Hamilton: The Revolution by Lin-Manuel Miranda & Jeremy McCarter - Was there anything I was more obsessed with this year than Hamilton? That's why this annotated script interspersed with short pieces about the show that's revolutionized Broadway has to be on this list. In 2017, I have tickets to finally see the production in Chicago.White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America by Nancy Isenberg - This…