Skip to main content

Why I Want To Break Up With Cable But Can't ...

... Live Sporting Events

Thanks to Hulu, Netflix, and a handful of other websites I'm able to find the majority of TV shows I care about streaming online mostly for free, or a few for a small monthly fee. My husband and I even gave up cable for awhile and got along great, except we kept finding excuses to go to a local bar to watch baseball and football games. For as much as we spent on beer, we might as well have kept our cable subscription.

Now I know there are torrenty ways to download anything I could ever want to watch for free, but I'm at the age where that kind of hackery doesn't hold the same thrill it used to. I just want to watch my shows quickly, easily, and reliably and if I have to pay a small fee to do so, it's not the end of the world. I also think that media providers who don't realize that they could grow their audience (and make more money) if they played nicely with providers like Hulu and Netflix *cough* CBS *cough* CW *cough* premium cable *cough* are behind the times and just don't get the way media distribution is changing.

After our last move we resubscribed to cable and while we're loving our easy access to the NFL and Cubs games, that's the only reason I can see for keeping the cable. Our particular local cable provider, while the best in the area, still stinks. They've had to replace our box 3 times in 4 months, each time losing all of our DVR content (thank goodness for Hulu). Our current box freezes up at least once a week, sometimes in the middle of recording something, or missing recording shows entirely. So much for DVR. Considering the subscription fees for Netflix and HuluPlus combined are less than our cable bill, provide us with more content on demand, and do not rely on a broken down old cable box in order to record my shows, I'm really having a hard time seeing why I should stick with cable.

To be fair, the NFL isn't completely unreasonable. During the off-season I can access 2010 season audio for free and video for $19.99 for the entire off-season, and this includes a great smartphone app that I've used during the season to listen to the free live game audio. I honestly can't remember what it costs to get access to games online during the season, but it can't be as unreasonable as MLB ...

MLB.TV is also available through your computer or a smartphone app, but after paying either $99.99 or $119.99 you have access to only out-of-market games. That means if I'm at work and can't go to the Cubs game and can't watch it on TV, I also can't have it on in the background on my computer screen. Or if I'm out and about doing things while the game is on, I can't pull out my phone while I'm waiting in line or something and watch the game live for a few minutes. Or if I've given up cable and still want to watch the Cubs game, I can't watch it if I live in the Chicago market.

This makes absolutely no sense. Why would you block out the one market most likely to want to watch the game online? Watching TV online isn't just a last choice or consolation prize for when you can't watch a program on TV anymore. A growing number of people are breaking up with cable or watching TV both online and live, so treating online viewers like a small niche market doesn't make sense anymore. As smart TVs and smartphones become more and more prevalent, people will only be viewing more TV online. Wake up MLB and give us access to our local baseball online.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023 Reading Challenges

Total Books Read: 85  of 100 Read Books I Own: 9 of 15 He's Where the Joy Is: Getting to Know the Captivating God of the Trinity  by Tara-Leigh Cobble Anne of Ingleside  by L. M. Montgomery (re-read) Faraway: Fairy Tales for the Here and Now  by Rainbow Rowell, et. al. Wake: The Hidden History of Women-Led Slave Revolts  by Rebecca Hall The Truth About White Lies  by Olivia A. Cole Mark of the Raven  by Morgan L. Busse When Morning Comes  by Arushi Raina Revelation Bible Study: Extravagant Hope  by Margaret Feinberg Romans: Good News That Changes Everything  by Melissa Spoelstra Total Series Read/Caught Up On: 4 of 5 Beartown by Fredrik Backman Loose Ends by Rebekah Weatherspoon The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang To Love Your Enemy by Jungyoon and Taegon As for subject matter reading, I love doing Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge, even if I simultaneously chafe at someone else telling me what to read, leaving me scrambling to finish the last few challenges at the end of the

More Developments on Ebooks and Libraries

I've been meaning to write about the recent news in the libraries lending ebooks debacle, but I'm just now getting around to writing my thoughts out, so apologies if my links are a bit outdated. One of the great things to come out of ALA Midwinter this year was the plan to schedule meetings with the Big Six publishers to discuss the relationship between libraries and publishers when it comes to ebooks. ALA was successful in scheduling meetings with five major publishers, and while all the problems of libraries lending ebooks were not solved at these meetings, I can agree with ALA President Molly Raphael's general assessment that a lot of good information was shared on both sides and that everyone came away with a better understanding of the big picture than they had before and an ongoing dialogue had been opened. One of the main problems identified in the meetings that surprised me (but probably shouldn't have) is that intermediaries like Overdrive have now became

2018 Reading Resolutions

As usual I'll be attempting to read 100 books in 2018. Total Books Read: 102 of 100 I'm also going to valiantly try to read 20 books I own and get through the backlog on my bookcase. It would really help if I didn't do so much of my reading on audio (nearly all of which are borrowed at work) or get distracted when I'm looking for my next print read by all the pretty books at work. Books I Own: 2 of 20 Growing Up Country: Memories of an Iowa Farm Girl  by Carol Bodensteiner Say No to the Bro  by Kat Helgeson I'm also adjusting my series finishing goal this year. Life is too short to spend finishing series I only feel meh about, so finishing 5 series this year is plenty. Series Finished/Caught Up: 10 of 5 The War That Saved My Life Series by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley Six of Crows Series by Leigh Bardugo A Narwhal and Jelly Book Series by Ben Clanton His Fair Assassin Series by Robin LaFevers (next book expected in 2019) A Court of Thorns and Ro