Skip to main content

Speak Out With Your Geek Out

I've worn glasses since I was 4 1/2, so I've always been a bit of nerd, which led to me being okay with geeking out about things. Well, it turns out that last week was a great week to talk about all things geek. Unfortunately technically difficulties prevented me from posting this last week.

As a librarian, I get to interact with all kinds of geeks, and I have to say, it's wonderful being in a profession where I get to meet so many people who get so excited about their interests.

But I want to be selfish here and talk about the things that make me a geek. From my earliest years I could be identified as geek because of my passionate love of books and reading. Even before I could read, I loved being read to. Luckily I had parents willing to indulge (even if they were sometimes the ones to fall asleep while reading). One of my aunts is a librarian and every year for my birthday she would get me a new book and that book was always one of my favorite presents.

In high school I was the kid who looked for the long books on the required reading list to devour so that I wouldn't finish my reading requirements for the semester in the first week. Thanks to this I discovered that Anna Karenina is one of the greats of world literature, and that while Steinbeck may not be my favorite author The Grapes of Wrath is still a good book. I read Hamlet three times because I didn't get it the first time, but since the test wasn't for another 2 weeks I had time to understand it on the second read through, and love it on the third.

Given that past, it should be no surprise that I became a librarian. Now I don't read many of the weighty tomes I did when I was in high school. Instead I focus on appropriately geeky things like Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and the Undead, and Queen Victoria, Demon Hunter (yes, I geek zombies). But not just campy zombies, I'm also a huge fan of the Walking Dead comics (I haven't had a chance to watch the TV show yet) and I'm going to get around to reading World War Z someday.

In truth though, there are plenty of things I geek out about besides reading and zombies and in tribute to those of you who also proudly call yourselves geeks here's a random list of a few of my geek accomplishments:
  • actually met wizarding rock legends Harry and the Potters when I invited them to perform at my library for the teen summer reading program
  • attended a bachelorette party that took place in Orlando so that we could visit The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
  • saw all but the first and third Harry Potter movies on opening weekend
  • saw all of the Lord of the Rings films at midnight on opening night (ditto for other similarly geeky movie releases around that time - we went to the movies a lot in college)
  • was my school's Geography Bee Champion in sixth grade
  • still know all the words to the Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? theme song
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2017 Reading Resolutions

Last year, I just barely squeaked out my 100 books, so I'm going to do attempt doing the same this year.

Total Books:
Progress: 63 of 100

As in previous years, I'd also like to focus on reading books I own that have been languishing on my shelves. I'll be a little more realistic in my goal, though, and try to make this year the first I actually reach this particular milestone.

Books I Own
Progress: 11 of 25
The Elephants in My Backyard: A Memoir by Rajiv SurendraNever Broken: Songs Are Only Half the Story by JewelSuddenly One Summer by Julie JamesOn the Construction Site by Carron BrownOn the Space Station by Carron BrownSecrets of the Seashore by Carron BrownScarlett Epstein Hates it Here by Anna BreslawBreaking Character by Cameron GreyFinanicial Peace Junior: Teaching Kids How to Win With Money by Dave RamseyThe Wedding Trap by Adrienne BellThe 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins by Dr. Seuss I still want to focus on finishing series (or dropping them as soon as I lose interes…

NASIG 2015 - Day 3

The conference overload was starting to happen on Friday, but I soldiered on. At breakfast I talked to someone from a regional library council. Her background is in special libraries, but in her current position she works with a ton of teeny tiny public libraries, so I was excited to find someone with some common ground.As for the opening speaker, I was pleasantly surprised. The head honcho at Alexander Street Press talked about the future of open access publishing and the reception was mixed. First, he was surprised that librarians didn't think all scholarly publishing was going to be open access in the next decade. Then when he described how publishers were going to stay in business, basically by providing services that either make it easier for researchers to publish or to find what they're looking for in bare bones open access text, the crowd seemed ready to revolt and scream that that wasn't really open access. Maybe because I'm not in academia I'm not so up i…

2016 Reading in Review

I just barely got through my 100 book goal this year (and I'll admit, there were a lot of children's books padding that total), but I have to say I really enjoyed what I read. So now, without further ado, my favorites from what I read this year:


The Holy Bible - This was, without a doubt, my biggest reading accomplishment of the year. A feat I've attempted several times, but 2016 was the year I was successful. Reading this epic work as a whole helped me make sense of the less exciting parts and get a much better big picture view of the work as whole.Hamilton: The Revolution by Lin-Manuel Miranda & Jeremy McCarter - Was there anything I was more obsessed with this year than Hamilton? That's why this annotated script interspersed with short pieces about the show that's revolutionized Broadway has to be on this list. In 2017, I have tickets to finally see the production in Chicago.White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America by Nancy Isenberg - This…