Skip to main content

Speak Out With Your Geek Out

I've worn glasses since I was 4 1/2, so I've always been a bit of nerd, which led to me being okay with geeking out about things. Well, it turns out that last week was a great week to talk about all things geek. Unfortunately technically difficulties prevented me from posting this last week.

As a librarian, I get to interact with all kinds of geeks, and I have to say, it's wonderful being in a profession where I get to meet so many people who get so excited about their interests.

But I want to be selfish here and talk about the things that make me a geek. From my earliest years I could be identified as geek because of my passionate love of books and reading. Even before I could read, I loved being read to. Luckily I had parents willing to indulge (even if they were sometimes the ones to fall asleep while reading). One of my aunts is a librarian and every year for my birthday she would get me a new book and that book was always one of my favorite presents.

In high school I was the kid who looked for the long books on the required reading list to devour so that I wouldn't finish my reading requirements for the semester in the first week. Thanks to this I discovered that Anna Karenina is one of the greats of world literature, and that while Steinbeck may not be my favorite author The Grapes of Wrath is still a good book. I read Hamlet three times because I didn't get it the first time, but since the test wasn't for another 2 weeks I had time to understand it on the second read through, and love it on the third.

Given that past, it should be no surprise that I became a librarian. Now I don't read many of the weighty tomes I did when I was in high school. Instead I focus on appropriately geeky things like Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and the Undead, and Queen Victoria, Demon Hunter (yes, I geek zombies). But not just campy zombies, I'm also a huge fan of the Walking Dead comics (I haven't had a chance to watch the TV show yet) and I'm going to get around to reading World War Z someday.

In truth though, there are plenty of things I geek out about besides reading and zombies and in tribute to those of you who also proudly call yourselves geeks here's a random list of a few of my geek accomplishments:
  • actually met wizarding rock legends Harry and the Potters when I invited them to perform at my library for the teen summer reading program
  • attended a bachelorette party that took place in Orlando so that we could visit The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
  • saw all but the first and third Harry Potter movies on opening weekend
  • saw all of the Lord of the Rings films at midnight on opening night (ditto for other similarly geeky movie releases around that time - we went to the movies a lot in college)
  • was my school's Geography Bee Champion in sixth grade
  • still know all the words to the Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? theme song

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023 Reading Challenges

Total Books Read: 85  of 100 Read Books I Own: 9 of 15 He's Where the Joy Is: Getting to Know the Captivating God of the Trinity  by Tara-Leigh Cobble Anne of Ingleside  by L. M. Montgomery (re-read) Faraway: Fairy Tales for the Here and Now  by Rainbow Rowell, et. al. Wake: The Hidden History of Women-Led Slave Revolts  by Rebecca Hall The Truth About White Lies  by Olivia A. Cole Mark of the Raven  by Morgan L. Busse When Morning Comes  by Arushi Raina Revelation Bible Study: Extravagant Hope  by Margaret Feinberg Romans: Good News That Changes Everything  by Melissa Spoelstra Total Series Read/Caught Up On: 4 of 5 Beartown by Fredrik Backman Loose Ends by Rebekah Weatherspoon The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang To Love Your Enemy by Jungyoon and Taegon As for subject matter reading, I love doing Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge, even if I simultaneously chafe at someone else telling me what to read, leaving me scrambling to finish the last few challenges at the end of the

2018 Reading Resolutions

As usual I'll be attempting to read 100 books in 2018. Total Books Read: 102 of 100 I'm also going to valiantly try to read 20 books I own and get through the backlog on my bookcase. It would really help if I didn't do so much of my reading on audio (nearly all of which are borrowed at work) or get distracted when I'm looking for my next print read by all the pretty books at work. Books I Own: 2 of 20 Growing Up Country: Memories of an Iowa Farm Girl  by Carol Bodensteiner Say No to the Bro  by Kat Helgeson I'm also adjusting my series finishing goal this year. Life is too short to spend finishing series I only feel meh about, so finishing 5 series this year is plenty. Series Finished/Caught Up: 10 of 5 The War That Saved My Life Series by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley Six of Crows Series by Leigh Bardugo A Narwhal and Jelly Book Series by Ben Clanton His Fair Assassin Series by Robin LaFevers (next book expected in 2019) A Court of Thorns and Ro

More Developments on Ebooks and Libraries

I've been meaning to write about the recent news in the libraries lending ebooks debacle, but I'm just now getting around to writing my thoughts out, so apologies if my links are a bit outdated. One of the great things to come out of ALA Midwinter this year was the plan to schedule meetings with the Big Six publishers to discuss the relationship between libraries and publishers when it comes to ebooks. ALA was successful in scheduling meetings with five major publishers, and while all the problems of libraries lending ebooks were not solved at these meetings, I can agree with ALA President Molly Raphael's general assessment that a lot of good information was shared on both sides and that everyone came away with a better understanding of the big picture than they had before and an ongoing dialogue had been opened. One of the main problems identified in the meetings that surprised me (but probably shouldn't have) is that intermediaries like Overdrive have now became