Skip to main content

EDC MOOC, Week 4

I realize that #edcmooc finished up several weeks ago, but the last weekend of the course when I planned to finish up all my projects happened to be a perfect storm of excuses not to work on this class, which might be a great start to a conversation on completion rates for MOOCs and what that means in terms of how successful they are, but that's for another time. Before life got in the way, I had this blog post on Week 4's readings nearly ready to go, so I'll present it to you now.

This week we talked about posthumanism, what happens when technology has enhanced the human form so much that we are no longer human, but something else.

It seems like the central concern here is if at some point adding technological enhancements to the human form will become advanced to the point that accepting such enhancements will forfeit something essential to the human experience.

Transhumanists argue that this is not the case, at least not right now. They argue that humanity has such potential for greatness and technology is a wonderful tool to get us to that better place.

However, I really do wonder about some of the major concerns expressed in the readings this week. One that really hits home for me centers around the digital divide already in place in this society. Access to fast, reliable technology is currently a have/have-not issue, so as these advances further, how do we ensure access for everybody?

Conversely, how do we make sure that everyone who doesn't want to be digitally enhanced doesn't feel pressure to. Now that government aid programs are pushing people to apply for services online and receive payments electronically, poor people are suddenly forced to find internet access, but folks who have the means to have technology in their homes, but choose not to, are also being forced to interact with technology they've consciously chosen to do without. What happens when technology embedded in our bodies becomes the norm?

I can't help but think of the difference between the people in the Capitol and the districts in The Hunger Games. The people in the Capitol are modified to utmost degree while the people in Katniss's district are barely able to get enough food. The modified people in the Capitol are made to look like silly fools, while Katniss and the people her district are seen as better. From what I remember, it's not explicitly stated, but the impression is that people of District 12 are more pure, more human.

I suppose it's not really fair of me to express my digital divide fears as a problem with posthumanism, because transhumanists feel that technologies to enhance the human form should be available to everyone. So I guess my real argument is that I don't think that anytime soon there will be a way to ensure that these technologies are available to everyone. Technology costs money and there are huge disparities in wealth around the world, but even in this country, so while it's really neat to see the ways technology can make our lives easier and even better, I have real concerns about how access to technology will further stratify our society.

I also think that one of the potential solutions to this problem - government distribution of technology - is another way in which it can be implemented badly. In this case human modification could be forced on unwilling participants or be used to eliminate undesirable portions of the population, maybe not on the level of Gattaca where those with genetic predispositions to disease are automatically second-class citizens, but there is the potential that parents will try to manipulate the genetic code of their potential children. Prenatal testing is already used in many countries to abort female fetuses.

Another feature in our readings on transhumanism is the idea that these technological enhancements will lead us to more intelligent decision-making by foster more open debate and transparent decision making processes. I'm so torn about this because I see the way technology has democratized information in positive ways, such as the Arab Spring, but I also see how the flood of available information has created more opportunities for the extreme elements in our society to flood the system with misinformation. (Ex: Clearly our President is a Muslim who was born in Kenya.)

So I guess I'm really torn between excitement about the possibilities of technology to help the human race achieve more, yet hesitant that bad implementation of those technologies could lead to further stratification of our society, or worse yet, enforced implementation of technology on unwilling participants.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023 Reading Challenges

Total Books Read: 85  of 100 Read Books I Own: 9 of 15 He's Where the Joy Is: Getting to Know the Captivating God of the Trinity  by Tara-Leigh Cobble Anne of Ingleside  by L. M. Montgomery (re-read) Faraway: Fairy Tales for the Here and Now  by Rainbow Rowell, et. al. Wake: The Hidden History of Women-Led Slave Revolts  by Rebecca Hall The Truth About White Lies  by Olivia A. Cole Mark of the Raven  by Morgan L. Busse When Morning Comes  by Arushi Raina Revelation Bible Study: Extravagant Hope  by Margaret Feinberg Romans: Good News That Changes Everything  by Melissa Spoelstra Total Series Read/Caught Up On: 4 of 5 Beartown by Fredrik Backman Loose Ends by Rebekah Weatherspoon The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang To Love Your Enemy by Jungyoon and Taegon As for subject matter reading, I love doing Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge, even if I simultaneously chafe at someone else telling me what to read, leaving me scrambling to finish the last few challenges at the end of the

2018 Reading Resolutions

As usual I'll be attempting to read 100 books in 2018. Total Books Read: 102 of 100 I'm also going to valiantly try to read 20 books I own and get through the backlog on my bookcase. It would really help if I didn't do so much of my reading on audio (nearly all of which are borrowed at work) or get distracted when I'm looking for my next print read by all the pretty books at work. Books I Own: 2 of 20 Growing Up Country: Memories of an Iowa Farm Girl  by Carol Bodensteiner Say No to the Bro  by Kat Helgeson I'm also adjusting my series finishing goal this year. Life is too short to spend finishing series I only feel meh about, so finishing 5 series this year is plenty. Series Finished/Caught Up: 10 of 5 The War That Saved My Life Series by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley Six of Crows Series by Leigh Bardugo A Narwhal and Jelly Book Series by Ben Clanton His Fair Assassin Series by Robin LaFevers (next book expected in 2019) A Court of Thorns and Ro

More Developments on Ebooks and Libraries

I've been meaning to write about the recent news in the libraries lending ebooks debacle, but I'm just now getting around to writing my thoughts out, so apologies if my links are a bit outdated. One of the great things to come out of ALA Midwinter this year was the plan to schedule meetings with the Big Six publishers to discuss the relationship between libraries and publishers when it comes to ebooks. ALA was successful in scheduling meetings with five major publishers, and while all the problems of libraries lending ebooks were not solved at these meetings, I can agree with ALA President Molly Raphael's general assessment that a lot of good information was shared on both sides and that everyone came away with a better understanding of the big picture than they had before and an ongoing dialogue had been opened. One of the main problems identified in the meetings that surprised me (but probably shouldn't have) is that intermediaries like Overdrive have now became