Skip to main content

A to Z Bookish Survey

Since I started my new job I really haven't had much time to post here, which is funny, because I've been doing so much learning and growing and thinking about librarianship as I fit into my new role that I could write almost endlessly, but that's also probably why I haven't had any time to get my thoughts in order. Anyway, to keep the old blog going, I thought I'd do one of these old-school survey things that I found over at A Patchwork of Books (and it looks like she got the idea from The Perpetual Page Turner, who looks like someone I should also be following, but really, am I even able to pay that much attention to the people I already follow?) .



Author you've read the most books from: 
sheer number is probably Ann M. Martin, since I read most of the over 100 Babysitter's Club books back in the day. I am well aware that you can skip Chapter 2.

Best sequel ever:
I tend to think of books in a series as all stuck together, so it's really hard for me to think of any sequels separate from the books that preceded them (or followed them).

Currently Reading:
World War Z by Max Brooks on audio and about 5 books in print, including Minimalist Parenting, which seems good and Theodore Rex by Edmund Morris, which seems excellent so far

Drink of Choice While Reading:
I've become sort of obsessed with coffee lately, now that I've discovered milk and sugar make it a whole new ballgame

E-Reader or Physical Book:
Neither. I have a bit of a commute, so I get through way more audiobooks than any other format.

Fictional Character You Probably Would Have Actually Dated in High School:
This could be a long list since I read a lot of romance, but, like most people in high school, I was kind of a mess when it came to the opposite sex, so there's probably a gap between the boys I wanted to date and the boys I actually would date. Probably highest on my fictional characters crush list in high school were Gilbert Blythe and Teddy Kent (I was all about L.M. Montgomery back then). I also went through my Wuthering Heights phase where I definitely had a thing for bad boys like Heathcliff.

Glad You Gave This Book a Chance:
an ARC, I think I got through Library Thing (which I have to say are usually not great), for The Uninvited by Tim Wynne-Jones, which ended up being so scary good and is definitely on my long list of all-time favorites

Hidden Gem of a Book:
Queen Victoria, Demon Hunter by A. E. Moorat - doesn't get nearly as much press as Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, but I think I liked it even more

Important Moment in Your Reading Life:
When my 2nd grade teacher borrowed the second book in a series I had loved from her public library when she saw how disappointed I was that our school library didn't have it. Suddenly I realized that I could search out the books I wanted to read instead of reading whatever happened to be around.

Just Finished:
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon - it was fantastic!

Kinds of Books You Won't Read:
I don't read many super macho books, super long fantasy, or mysteries of any kind

Longest Book You've Read:
according to GoodReads, it's David Copperfield by Charles Dickens, although I did it on audio, so it didn't seem that long

Major Book Hangover because of: 
The End of the Affair by Graham Greene - one of those beautifully written stories about a horribly depressing situation. That and 1984 both left me in a funk where I couldn't quite believe in the goodness of humanity for awhile after finishing them.

Number of Bookcases You Own:
Currently, 3 big ones (although one is storing other things than books) and 1 small one, but that's after a lot of downsizing the past few years, and we still have several boxes of books in storage.

One Book You Have Read Multiple Times:
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (although the subsequent read-throughs have been audio)

Preferred Place to Read:
bed

Quote that inspires you/gives you all the feels from a book you've read:
I'm really terrible with quotes.

Reading Regret:
I'm willing to finish just about anything, so I've spent an awful lot of time on terrible books, when I probably should have just given up and moved on to something better.

Series You Need to Finish (all the books are out in the series):
I know it's still being written, but my husband will give me no peace until I get caught up on The Dresden Files. However, I find them too depressing to read all at once, so I'm only about 5 books in so far.

Three of Your All-time Favorite Books:
The Blue Castle by L. M. Montgomery (one of her few books written for adults, and her best, in my opinion), Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreiser, Ragtime by E. L. Doctorow

Unapologetic Fangirl for:
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Very Excited for This Release More Than All the Others:
Right now I guess it's the next Daughter of Smoke and Bone book.

Worst Bookish Habit:
I take a book with me everywhere, so my books tend to get really beat up, and I'm pretty nonchalant about it, which most people are shocked to learn is the habit of a librarian. I actually got in a fight with my best friend in middle school because we'd swapped a bunch of books and what I thought was a minor crease on the cover of one, turned out to be a deal breaker for her, and even though we both read voraciously and are still friends to this day, we don't borrow each other's books anymore.

X Marks the Spot: Start at the top left of your bookshelves and pick the 27th book:
The Average American Male by Chad Kultgen

Your Latest Book Purchase:
Theodore Rex by Edmund Morris

ZZZ-snatcher Book (last book that kept you up WAY late): 
Dawn of the Dreadfuls (prequel to Pride and Prejudice and Zombies)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023 Reading Challenges

Total Books Read: 85  of 100 Read Books I Own: 9 of 15 He's Where the Joy Is: Getting to Know the Captivating God of the Trinity  by Tara-Leigh Cobble Anne of Ingleside  by L. M. Montgomery (re-read) Faraway: Fairy Tales for the Here and Now  by Rainbow Rowell, et. al. Wake: The Hidden History of Women-Led Slave Revolts  by Rebecca Hall The Truth About White Lies  by Olivia A. Cole Mark of the Raven  by Morgan L. Busse When Morning Comes  by Arushi Raina Revelation Bible Study: Extravagant Hope  by Margaret Feinberg Romans: Good News That Changes Everything  by Melissa Spoelstra Total Series Read/Caught Up On: 4 of 5 Beartown by Fredrik Backman Loose Ends by Rebekah Weatherspoon The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang To Love Your Enemy by Jungyoon and Taegon As for subject matter reading, I love doing Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge, even if I simultaneously chafe at someone else telling me what to read, leaving me scrambling to finish the last few challenges at the end of the

2018 Reading Resolutions

As usual I'll be attempting to read 100 books in 2018. Total Books Read: 102 of 100 I'm also going to valiantly try to read 20 books I own and get through the backlog on my bookcase. It would really help if I didn't do so much of my reading on audio (nearly all of which are borrowed at work) or get distracted when I'm looking for my next print read by all the pretty books at work. Books I Own: 2 of 20 Growing Up Country: Memories of an Iowa Farm Girl  by Carol Bodensteiner Say No to the Bro  by Kat Helgeson I'm also adjusting my series finishing goal this year. Life is too short to spend finishing series I only feel meh about, so finishing 5 series this year is plenty. Series Finished/Caught Up: 10 of 5 The War That Saved My Life Series by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley Six of Crows Series by Leigh Bardugo A Narwhal and Jelly Book Series by Ben Clanton His Fair Assassin Series by Robin LaFevers (next book expected in 2019) A Court of Thorns and Ro

More Developments on Ebooks and Libraries

I've been meaning to write about the recent news in the libraries lending ebooks debacle, but I'm just now getting around to writing my thoughts out, so apologies if my links are a bit outdated. One of the great things to come out of ALA Midwinter this year was the plan to schedule meetings with the Big Six publishers to discuss the relationship between libraries and publishers when it comes to ebooks. ALA was successful in scheduling meetings with five major publishers, and while all the problems of libraries lending ebooks were not solved at these meetings, I can agree with ALA President Molly Raphael's general assessment that a lot of good information was shared on both sides and that everyone came away with a better understanding of the big picture than they had before and an ongoing dialogue had been opened. One of the main problems identified in the meetings that surprised me (but probably shouldn't have) is that intermediaries like Overdrive have now became