Skip to main content

2014 Reading Challenges

I mentioned in my last post that I plan to attempt reading 100 books this year, but I also think I'll do some more specific challenges too, because, why not? Here they are, with links back to the original challenge where you can read all the rules, and a list of completed titles for each challenge. If I'm going to try to read 100 books this year, I might as well have fun doing it. The links are to my Goodreads reviews.


And in the name of fun, I might as well start of with the Alphabet Soup Challenge. Basically I just need to read a book starting with each letter of the alphabet and since I plan to read a lot more than 26 books, I think I can make this one happen.

COMPLETED: 8/25/14

A: Allegiant by Veronica Roth
B: Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore
C: Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
D: Dreadfully Ever After: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Steve Hockensmith
E: An Education by Lynn Barber
F: The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen
G: Graceling by Kristin Cashore
H: How Babies Talk: The Magic and Mystery of Language in the First Three Years of Life by Roberta Golinkoff Michnik and Kathy Hirsch-Pasek
I: The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer
J: Just One Day by Gayle Forman
K: Killing Kennedy by Bill O'Reilly
L: Letter From Birmingham Jail by Martin Luther King, Jr.
M: Monster by Walter Dean Myers
N: A Natural History of the Senses by Diane Ackerman
O: Once by Morris Gleitzman
P: The Passage by Justin Cronin
Q: Quiet: the Power of Introverts in a World That Won't Stop Talking by Susan Cain
R: The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy With Autism by Naoki Higashida
S: The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes
T: Tabloid Love: Looking for Mr. Right In All the Wrong Places, A Memoir by Bridget Harrison
U: The Unwinding: An Inner History of the New America by George Packer
V: Valiant by Holly Black
W: Walking Dead, Volume 18: What Comes After by Robert Kirkman
X: Xombies by Walter Greatshell
Y: The Yoga Birth Method: A Step-By-Step Guide for Natural Childbirth by Dorothy Guerra
Z: Zone One by Colson Whitehead



Next we have the Finishing the Series Reading Challenge. This is something I've been bad about in the past, but spent last year somewhat successfully working on, so I'm going to be brave and say I'll finish 3 series this year.

COMPLETED: 5/3/2014
  1. Divergent series by Veronica Roth (no, I did not read Four, but I'd argue that's not an essential part of the series)
  2. The Ascendance Trilogy by Jennifer A. Nielsen
  3. Hush, Hush series by Becca Fitzpatrick
  4. Just One Day series by Gayle Forman (I know there's a novella that follows the two books, but I'd also argue this is not an essential part of the series either)
  5. Chiveis Trilogy by Bryan Litfin
  6. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies series by Seth Grahame-Smith and Steve Hockensmith
  7. Graceling Realm by Kristin Cashore
  8. Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (3rd book expected in 2015)
  9. Carter Finally Gets It Trilogy by Brent Crawford
  10. Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy by Laini Taylor
  11. Throne of Glass Series by Sarah J. Maas (Book 4 expected in 2015)

And finally we have the I Love Library Books Reading Challenge. I almost don't want to do this one because, working in a library, it's so easy to pick up a library book instead of reading the hundreds of books I own but still haven't gotten around to reading yet. Still I'm pretty sure I'll be able to read 50 library books this year no problem, so I'll participate at the "just insert IV" level.

COMPLETED: 9/04/14
  1. Allegiant by Veronica Roth
  2. The Reason I Jump by Naoki Higashida
  3. The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes
  4. The Turn of the Screw by Henry James
  5. Some Like It Hot by Susan Andersen
  6. The Passage by Justin Cronin
  7. A Tale Dark & Grimm by Adam Gidwitz
  8. How Babies Talk by Roberta Golinkoff Michnik and Kathy Hirsch-Pasek
  9. Killing Kennedy by Bill O'Reilly
  10. Stupid Fast by Geoff Herbach
  11. An Education by Lynn Barber
  12. The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen
  13. The Runaway King by Jennifer A. Nielsen
  14. The Shadow Throne by Jennifer A. Neilsen
  15. Lover Eternal by J.R. Ward
  16. I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai and Christina Lamb
  17. Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell
  18. Xombies by Walter Greatshell
  19. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
  20. Lover Awakened by J.R. Ward
  21. Valiant by Holly Black
  22. Graceling by Kristin Cashore
  23. Quiet by Susan Gain
  24. Flyover Lives by Diane Johnson
  25. Fire by Kristin Cashore
  26. Finale by Becca Fitzpatrick
  27. Just One Day by Gayle Forman
  28. Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard
  29. The Yoga Birth Method by Dorothy Guerra
  30. Walking Dead, Vol. 18 by Robert Kirkman
  31. Zone One by Colson Whitehead
  32. Just One Year by Gayle Forman
  33. The Kingdom by Bryan Litfin
  34. Dreadfully Ever After by Steve Hockensmith
  35. Lover Revealed by J. R. Ward
  36. Grace-Based Parenting by Tim Kimmel
  37. The Scorch Trials by James Dashner
  38. Orange Is the New Black by Piper Kerman
  39. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore
  40. The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
  41. Monster by Walter Dean Myers
  42. Mean Moms Rule by Denise Schipani
  43. The Unwinding by George Packer
  44. The Nesting Place by Myquillyn Smith
  45. Developing and Managing Electronic Collections by Peggy Johnson
  46. Hollow City by Ransom Riggs
  47. A Natural History of the Senses by Diane Ackerman
  48. The Journal of Best Practices by David Finch
  49. Necessary Lies by Diane Chamberlain
  50. Throne of Glass by Sarah Maas
  51. Ungifted by Gordon Korman
  52. Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins
  53. My Drunk Kitchen by Hannah Hart
  54. The Postmistress by Sarah Blake
  55. Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay
  56. The Moon Sisters by Therese Walsh
  57. The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider
  58. Dare Me by Megan Abbott
  59. The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd
  60. The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
  61. The Weight of Blood by Laura McHugh
  62. Where'd You Go, Bernadette? by Maria Semple
  63. Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas
  64. One for the Murphys by Lynda Mullaly Hunt
  65. Cinder by Marissa Meyer
  66. The Assassin's Blade by Sarah J. Maas
  67. Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover
  68. The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater
  69. The Selection by Kiera Cass
  70. The Bomb by Steve Sheinkin
  71. Seraphina by Rachel Hartman
  72. Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas
  73. Step By Step Yoga for Conception, Pregnancy, Birth, and Beyond
  74. Anne of Avonlea by L. M. Montgomery (reread)
  75. The Elite by Kiera Cass
And in that vein I think I'll do my own challenge to read 50 books I own, but have never gotten around to. Since there will likely be some books that fall into neither category, I will likely only complete one of these challenges this year. I'm pretty sure it won't be this one, but I hope I prove myself wrong.

NOT COMPLETED
  1. The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer
  2. Once by Morris Gleitzman
  3. Letter From the Birmingham Jail by Martin Luther King, Jr.
  4. Lady Day's Diary: The Life of Billie Holiday 1937-1959 by Ken Vail
  5. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
  6. As Red As Blood by Salla Simukka
  7. Bless Me, Ultima by Rudolfo Anaya
  8. Carter Finally Gets It by Brent Crawford (reread)
  9. She Stoops to Conquer by Oliver Goldsmith
  10. Carter's Unfocused One-Track Mind by Brent Crawford
  11. Normally This Would Be Cause For Concern by Danielle Fishel
  12. Dreams of Gods and Monsters by Laini Taylor
  13. Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Not Reading by Tommy Greenwald
  14. Torn From Troy by Patrick Bowman
  15. The Promise in a Kiss by Stephanie Laurens
  16. Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson
  17. Enchanted by Alethea Kontis
  18. Dave Ramsey's Complete Guide to Money by Dave Ramsey
  19. I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally Carter
  20. Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery (reread)
  21. Little Children by Tom Perotta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023 Reading Challenges

Total Books Read: 85  of 100 Read Books I Own: 9 of 15 He's Where the Joy Is: Getting to Know the Captivating God of the Trinity  by Tara-Leigh Cobble Anne of Ingleside  by L. M. Montgomery (re-read) Faraway: Fairy Tales for the Here and Now  by Rainbow Rowell, et. al. Wake: The Hidden History of Women-Led Slave Revolts  by Rebecca Hall The Truth About White Lies  by Olivia A. Cole Mark of the Raven  by Morgan L. Busse When Morning Comes  by Arushi Raina Revelation Bible Study: Extravagant Hope  by Margaret Feinberg Romans: Good News That Changes Everything  by Melissa Spoelstra Total Series Read/Caught Up On: 4 of 5 Beartown by Fredrik Backman Loose Ends by Rebekah Weatherspoon The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang To Love Your Enemy by Jungyoon and Taegon As for subject matter reading, I love doing Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge, even if I simultaneously chafe at someone else telling me what to read, leaving me scrambling to finish the last few challenges at the end of the

2018 Reading Resolutions

As usual I'll be attempting to read 100 books in 2018. Total Books Read: 102 of 100 I'm also going to valiantly try to read 20 books I own and get through the backlog on my bookcase. It would really help if I didn't do so much of my reading on audio (nearly all of which are borrowed at work) or get distracted when I'm looking for my next print read by all the pretty books at work. Books I Own: 2 of 20 Growing Up Country: Memories of an Iowa Farm Girl  by Carol Bodensteiner Say No to the Bro  by Kat Helgeson I'm also adjusting my series finishing goal this year. Life is too short to spend finishing series I only feel meh about, so finishing 5 series this year is plenty. Series Finished/Caught Up: 10 of 5 The War That Saved My Life Series by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley Six of Crows Series by Leigh Bardugo A Narwhal and Jelly Book Series by Ben Clanton His Fair Assassin Series by Robin LaFevers (next book expected in 2019) A Court of Thorns and Ro

More Developments on Ebooks and Libraries

I've been meaning to write about the recent news in the libraries lending ebooks debacle, but I'm just now getting around to writing my thoughts out, so apologies if my links are a bit outdated. One of the great things to come out of ALA Midwinter this year was the plan to schedule meetings with the Big Six publishers to discuss the relationship between libraries and publishers when it comes to ebooks. ALA was successful in scheduling meetings with five major publishers, and while all the problems of libraries lending ebooks were not solved at these meetings, I can agree with ALA President Molly Raphael's general assessment that a lot of good information was shared on both sides and that everyone came away with a better understanding of the big picture than they had before and an ongoing dialogue had been opened. One of the main problems identified in the meetings that surprised me (but probably shouldn't have) is that intermediaries like Overdrive have now became