Skip to main content

2017 Reading Resolutions

Last year, I just barely squeaked out my 100 books, so I'm going to do attempt doing the same this year.

Total Books:
Progress: 41 of 100

As in previous years, I'd also like to focus on reading books I own that have been languishing on my shelves. I'll be a little more realistic in my goal though and try to make this year the first I actually reach this particular milestone.

Books I Own
Progress: 8 of 25
  1. The Elephants in My Backyard: A Memoir by Rajiv Surendra
  2. Never Broken: Songs Are Only Half the Story by Jewel
  3. Suddenly One Summer by Julie James
  4. On the Construction Site by Carron Brown
  5. On the Space Station by Carron Brown
  6. Secrets of the Seashore by Carron Brown
  7. Scarlett Epstein Hates it Here by Anna Breslaw
  8. Breaking Character by Cameron Grey

I still want to focus on finishing series (or dropping them as soon as I lose interest), so I'd like to complete (or at least stay current) with my usual 10 series this year. Every year I think this will be harder and harder to accomplish as I cross more series off my list, but so many books I like turn into series that maybe this is just the way of things.

Series Finished/Caught Up:
Progress: 0 of 10

My thematic goals are going to be a little ambitious this year and I'm not super worried about whether I meet them as long as I attempt it. I've really fallen in love with nonfiction on audio and that's how I do the majority of my reading, and I'm really feeling called to listen to some serious topics. In contrast, I want to read light and/or quick fiction, so I'll focus on romance and graphic novels.

Revolutionary/Founding Fathers History
Progress: 2 of 10
  1. Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow
  2. 1776 by David McCullough
Feminism/Strong Women Biographies
Progress: 4 of 10
  1. Settle For More by Megyn Kelly
  2. Never Broken: Songs Are Only Half the Story by Jewel
  3. Scarlett Epstein Hates it Here by Anna Breslaw
  4. Drop the Ball: Achieving More by Doing Less by Tiffany Dufu
Social Justice/Civil Rights
Progress: 4 of 10
  1. Orbiting Jupiter by Gary Schmidt
  2. Full Cicada Moon by Marilyn Hilton
  3. Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys
  4. The Autobiography of Malcolm X as told to Alex Haley
Romance
Progress: 11 of 10
  1. Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon
  2. Accidentally on Purpose by Jill Shalvis
  3. The Proposition by Judith Ivory
  4. Lover Unleashed by J. R. Ward
  5. Lover Reborn by J. R. Ward
  6. Lover At Last by J. R. Ward
  7. The King by J. R. Ward
  8. Suddenly One Summer by Julie James
  9. The Saint by Tiffany Reisz
  10. The King by Tiffany Reisz
  11. The Virgin by Tiffany Reisz
Graphic Novels
Progress: 1 of 10
  1. How to Fake a Moon Landing by Darryl Cunningham
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NASIG 2015 - Day 3

The conference overload was starting to happen on Friday, but I soldiered on. At breakfast I talked to someone from a regional library council. Her background is in special libraries, but in her current position she works with a ton of teeny tiny public libraries, so I was excited to find someone with some common ground.As for the opening speaker, I was pleasantly surprised. The head honcho at Alexander Street Press talked about the future of open access publishing and the reception was mixed. First, he was surprised that librarians didn't think all scholarly publishing was going to be open access in the next decade. Then when he described how publishers were going to stay in business, basically by providing services that either make it easier for researchers to publish or to find what they're looking for in bare bones open access text, the crowd seemed ready to revolt and scream that that wasn't really open access. Maybe because I'm not in academia I'm not so up i…

2016 Reading in Review

I just barely got through my 100 book goal this year (and I'll admit, there were a lot of children's books padding that total), but I have to say I really enjoyed what I read. So now, without further ado, my favorites from what I read this year:


The Holy Bible - This was, without a doubt, my biggest reading accomplishment of the year. A feat I've attempted several times, but 2016 was the year I was successful. Reading this epic work as a whole helped me make sense of the less exciting parts and get a much better big picture view of the work as whole.Hamilton: The Revolution by Lin-Manuel Miranda & Jeremy McCarter - Was there anything I was more obsessed with this year than Hamilton? That's why this annotated script interspersed with short pieces about the show that's revolutionized Broadway has to be on this list. In 2017, I have tickets to finally see the production in Chicago.White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America by Nancy Isenberg - This…