Skip to main content

E-Learning and Digital Cultures - Week 2

This week we stuck with the thoughts of utopias/dystopias, but turned our focus toward the future. One of the articles we read this week discussed the metaphors used to describe the internet in the media. I knew we used metaphors to describe the internet, but I was surprised at how prevalent this practice was once I saw a sampling of them all laid out.

Not surprisingly, many metaphors focused around the internet either as creator or destructor. I was a little surprised, though, to see how prevalent the "internet as physical place" metaphor still is. I know social networks and "meeting" with people online is all the rage now (I am taking a class that meets solely online), but I didn't think about how that's tied back to the earlier days of the internet when people really struggled to understand what the world wide web was and there were tons of representations of it as a physical space, even a Saturday morning cartoon based on the premise that the web was a real physical place.

But the thing I really wanted to talk about was the process of even deciding what metaphors to use to describe the internet, or really any new kind of technology. As with many things in librarianship today, I'm really trying to bring this back around to ebooks. We're still wrestling with the best way to deal with this increasingly popular format, and I can't help but think that part of the problem is that we're all using different metaphors to describe them. Should we treat them like print books or like digital files, or something else?

Earlier on it seemed like publishers wanted to treat them like physical books - libraries could only lend out one copy of an ebook file at a time, unless they'd paid for multiple copies. Librarians pointed out that that was silly since an ebook is a digital file and it's pretty easy to make as many copies of a digital file as you need ... if it weren't for that pesky DRM.

Then publishers realized that they could make even more money if they were only licensing ebooks to libraries, meaning they could pull their titles from a library when that library decided to stop paying for their service (or really, whenever they wanted to). Librarians pointed out that vendors don't get to pull the books libraries buy from them off their shelves when the libraries decide to go with another vendor. Now publishers cried that ebooks are like databases. They switched what metaphor they were using and librarians cried foul.

Now, however, it doesn't seem that anyone believes ebooks are going to be treated exactly like physical books. The problem now is that nobody can agree on exactly which model we should be using. How are librarians to know best way to provide ebook value for their patrons? Do they go for a vendor that provides a wider range of bestsellers or one that may not have a lot of authors you've heard of before, but uses a business model that holds more hope for the future of library ebook lending? Is there some sort of magical middle ground?

So while we'll always use metaphors to describe the technology in our lives, sometimes those metaphors can be limiting, and when we can't even agree on the metaphors we're using, it's no wonder people get confused about the role of technology in our lives.

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2017 Reading Resolutions

Last year, I just barely squeaked out my 100 books, so I'm going to do attempt doing the same this year.

Total Books:
Progress: 48 of 100

As in previous years, I'd also like to focus on reading books I own that have been languishing on my shelves. I'll be a little more realistic in my goal though and try to make this year the first I actually reach this particular milestone.

Books I Own
Progress: 8 of 25
The Elephants in My Backyard: A Memoir by Rajiv SurendraNever Broken: Songs Are Only Half the Story by JewelSuddenly One Summer by Julie JamesOn the Construction Site by Carron BrownOn the Space Station by Carron BrownSecrets of the Seashore by Carron BrownScarlett Epstein Hates it Here by Anna BreslawBreaking Character by Cameron Grey
I still want to focus on finishing series (or dropping them as soon as I lose interest), so I'd like to complete (or at least stay current) with my usual 10 series this year. Every year I think this will be harder and harder to accomplish a…

NASIG 2015 - Day 3

The conference overload was starting to happen on Friday, but I soldiered on. At breakfast I talked to someone from a regional library council. Her background is in special libraries, but in her current position she works with a ton of teeny tiny public libraries, so I was excited to find someone with some common ground.As for the opening speaker, I was pleasantly surprised. The head honcho at Alexander Street Press talked about the future of open access publishing and the reception was mixed. First, he was surprised that librarians didn't think all scholarly publishing was going to be open access in the next decade. Then when he described how publishers were going to stay in business, basically by providing services that either make it easier for researchers to publish or to find what they're looking for in bare bones open access text, the crowd seemed ready to revolt and scream that that wasn't really open access. Maybe because I'm not in academia I'm not so up i…

2016 Reading in Review

I just barely got through my 100 book goal this year (and I'll admit, there were a lot of children's books padding that total), but I have to say I really enjoyed what I read. So now, without further ado, my favorites from what I read this year:


The Holy Bible - This was, without a doubt, my biggest reading accomplishment of the year. A feat I've attempted several times, but 2016 was the year I was successful. Reading this epic work as a whole helped me make sense of the less exciting parts and get a much better big picture view of the work as whole.Hamilton: The Revolution by Lin-Manuel Miranda & Jeremy McCarter - Was there anything I was more obsessed with this year than Hamilton? That's why this annotated script interspersed with short pieces about the show that's revolutionized Broadway has to be on this list. In 2017, I have tickets to finally see the production in Chicago.White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America by Nancy Isenberg - This…