Skip to main content

Playing with Point of View

Over the winter, I read Redshirts by John Scalzi, which was a really fun meta spoof on sci-fi TV shows, where the ensigns on board the ship theorize that the reason they have such a high mortality rate is because they're Redshirts on Start Trek-like show. The story was entertaining, but I only liked it, while my husband loved it.

On the other hand, the story's three codas, which initially struck me as strange, eventually became my favorite part of the book. Normally this would just be a comment in a Goodreads review, but I thought the structure of the three codas - the first is told in first person, the second is told in second, the third in third - is a good excuse to have a conversation about point of view in fiction. Also, these codas were an excuse for a mostly comic novel to have a soul, and I love humor with a bit of heart.

 If you want to read on, there will be broad spoilers since I'll be talking about where characters are at the end of the story. However, most of what I'm revealing isn't that surprising and won't give away some of the best plot twists. Consider yourself warned.
The first coda is told in first person in the form of an anonymous blog by the head writer of the television show the main characters of the story are characters in. Now that he knows his characters are real, he's developed the biggest case of writer's block because in the past killing off Redshirts was the way he wrote himself out of difficult situations. He discusses with his readers other fictional works  where the author interacts with his or her creation. Stranger Than Fiction gets discussed a lot.

This one was cute, but ultimately, not much different in tone than the main story. It is appropriate, however, that first person is used for this story because it helps us see the deep self absorption of the head writer.

The second coda is in second person and, appropriately, tells the suspenseful tale of the son of the television show's creator, who has miraculously recovered from a horrendous motorcycle accident with barely a scratch on him. He knows his family is lying to him, but he can't figure out what they're hiding. The urgency of second person really brings the immediacy of his need to know the truth home.

What makes this one more than just a satisfying mystery, is the fact the main character also has to deal with the adrift manner of his life before the accident. Sure, he was saved from what appeared to be certain death, but was there really much of a life saved?

Like many children of privilege, the creator's son has every option open to him, but none of them really interested him and he was spending his twenties drifting aimlessly. While figuring out what his family is hiding and learning of the sacrifice to save him, the son discovers the purpose for his life.

Finally, the third coda follows a very minor but important character on the show in the most heart touching story of all. I think third person is used here because it's just so beautiful we need a little distance from the characters to fully appreciate it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023 Reading Challenges

Total Books Read: 85  of 100 Read Books I Own: 9 of 15 He's Where the Joy Is: Getting to Know the Captivating God of the Trinity  by Tara-Leigh Cobble Anne of Ingleside  by L. M. Montgomery (re-read) Faraway: Fairy Tales for the Here and Now  by Rainbow Rowell, et. al. Wake: The Hidden History of Women-Led Slave Revolts  by Rebecca Hall The Truth About White Lies  by Olivia A. Cole Mark of the Raven  by Morgan L. Busse When Morning Comes  by Arushi Raina Revelation Bible Study: Extravagant Hope  by Margaret Feinberg Romans: Good News That Changes Everything  by Melissa Spoelstra Total Series Read/Caught Up On: 4 of 5 Beartown by Fredrik Backman Loose Ends by Rebekah Weatherspoon The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang To Love Your Enemy by Jungyoon and Taegon As for subject matter reading, I love doing Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge, even if I simultaneously chafe at someone else telling me what to read, leaving me scrambling to finish the last few challenges at the end of the

2018 Reading Resolutions

As usual I'll be attempting to read 100 books in 2018. Total Books Read: 102 of 100 I'm also going to valiantly try to read 20 books I own and get through the backlog on my bookcase. It would really help if I didn't do so much of my reading on audio (nearly all of which are borrowed at work) or get distracted when I'm looking for my next print read by all the pretty books at work. Books I Own: 2 of 20 Growing Up Country: Memories of an Iowa Farm Girl  by Carol Bodensteiner Say No to the Bro  by Kat Helgeson I'm also adjusting my series finishing goal this year. Life is too short to spend finishing series I only feel meh about, so finishing 5 series this year is plenty. Series Finished/Caught Up: 10 of 5 The War That Saved My Life Series by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley Six of Crows Series by Leigh Bardugo A Narwhal and Jelly Book Series by Ben Clanton His Fair Assassin Series by Robin LaFevers (next book expected in 2019) A Court of Thorns and Ro

More Developments on Ebooks and Libraries

I've been meaning to write about the recent news in the libraries lending ebooks debacle, but I'm just now getting around to writing my thoughts out, so apologies if my links are a bit outdated. One of the great things to come out of ALA Midwinter this year was the plan to schedule meetings with the Big Six publishers to discuss the relationship between libraries and publishers when it comes to ebooks. ALA was successful in scheduling meetings with five major publishers, and while all the problems of libraries lending ebooks were not solved at these meetings, I can agree with ALA President Molly Raphael's general assessment that a lot of good information was shared on both sides and that everyone came away with a better understanding of the big picture than they had before and an ongoing dialogue had been opened. One of the main problems identified in the meetings that surprised me (but probably shouldn't have) is that intermediaries like Overdrive have now became