Skip to main content

Turning Thirty

I turned thirty this month and, not surprisingly, it's given me pause. Last month I picked up a book on the importance of your twenties, and for the most part it was reassuring because I never approached my twenties with the mindset that they weren't important. In fact, I spent most of my twenties worrying that I had taken them too seriously. I married my college sweetheart and went straight to library school and found jobs in libraries or related fields to pay the bills until I landed my first professional librarian gig. I was conventional, responsible, and hard-working.

But then what started as a few bumps in the road quickly became something much more serious. My husband started having health problems, which we finally realized were due to a toxic work environment. We decided not only on a job change, but a move to the city we'd been visiting nearly every month anyway. In the process of moving he managed to injure himself so badly that he was unable to work for months, losing the job we had moved for. Meanwhile I'd discovered that it was true that I'd moved into one of the toughest librarian job markets in the country and some health problems that I thought I'd left behind made a reoccurrence just as our nest egg disappeared, leaving us in a new state with no money and both of us unemployed.

I wish I could say things magically got better overnight, but that's not the case. For over 2 years at least one of us has been un- or under- employed. In order to pay the bills I've worked retail and data entry jobs when nothing better paying was forthcoming. This is not what I envisioned thirty would look like. And this is what Jay warns twentysomethings their lives could be if they don't get serious about finding a real job.

But here's the thing, I can't think of a single one of my friends who worked at Starbucks (or the equivalent) and wasn't actively wrestling with what was next for them. In her book, Jay focuses on the people who are underemployed and under the delusion that something better "will just come along". But there are also plenty of people who have bills to pay, and Starbucks allows them to do that (sort of) while getting their stuff together for something more secure. I know that working in retail and food service gives me an opportunity to focus on my customer service skills, which I've always thought were crucial to being a good reference librarian.

I guess I'm just really torn about how I feel about Meg Jay's book. On the one hand it's great that she's giving folks a reality check about whether they're just using their twenties to kill time or actually figure out the direction they want their life to go. I know I definitely underestimated the risk in relocating to a new city without a new job already lined up.

On the other hand, despite the rough road, I really don't think I would have done anything differently over the last few years. Also, I can't really think of any of my friends approaching thirty who have treated their twenties like they weren't important, who want to get married someday but think they can get away with random hook ups until they turn thirty and magically end up married, or work a job they don't care about because some day their dream job will magically fall into their lap. So I appreciate Jay's advice, but she sounds a lot like me when I try to talk about my friends' and my own siblings who are about five years younger, that is to say, parental.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2017 Reading Resolutions

Last year, I just barely squeaked out my 100 books, so I'm going to do attempt doing the same this year.

Total Books:
Progress: 48 of 100

As in previous years, I'd also like to focus on reading books I own that have been languishing on my shelves. I'll be a little more realistic in my goal though and try to make this year the first I actually reach this particular milestone.

Books I Own
Progress: 8 of 25
The Elephants in My Backyard: A Memoir by Rajiv SurendraNever Broken: Songs Are Only Half the Story by JewelSuddenly One Summer by Julie JamesOn the Construction Site by Carron BrownOn the Space Station by Carron BrownSecrets of the Seashore by Carron BrownScarlett Epstein Hates it Here by Anna BreslawBreaking Character by Cameron Grey
I still want to focus on finishing series (or dropping them as soon as I lose interest), so I'd like to complete (or at least stay current) with my usual 10 series this year. Every year I think this will be harder and harder to accomplish a…

NASIG 2015 - Day 3

The conference overload was starting to happen on Friday, but I soldiered on. At breakfast I talked to someone from a regional library council. Her background is in special libraries, but in her current position she works with a ton of teeny tiny public libraries, so I was excited to find someone with some common ground.As for the opening speaker, I was pleasantly surprised. The head honcho at Alexander Street Press talked about the future of open access publishing and the reception was mixed. First, he was surprised that librarians didn't think all scholarly publishing was going to be open access in the next decade. Then when he described how publishers were going to stay in business, basically by providing services that either make it easier for researchers to publish or to find what they're looking for in bare bones open access text, the crowd seemed ready to revolt and scream that that wasn't really open access. Maybe because I'm not in academia I'm not so up i…

2016 Reading in Review

I just barely got through my 100 book goal this year (and I'll admit, there were a lot of children's books padding that total), but I have to say I really enjoyed what I read. So now, without further ado, my favorites from what I read this year:


The Holy Bible - This was, without a doubt, my biggest reading accomplishment of the year. A feat I've attempted several times, but 2016 was the year I was successful. Reading this epic work as a whole helped me make sense of the less exciting parts and get a much better big picture view of the work as whole.Hamilton: The Revolution by Lin-Manuel Miranda & Jeremy McCarter - Was there anything I was more obsessed with this year than Hamilton? That's why this annotated script interspersed with short pieces about the show that's revolutionized Broadway has to be on this list. In 2017, I have tickets to finally see the production in Chicago.White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America by Nancy Isenberg - This…